The following guidelines have been drawn up to assist the Management Committee in administering the Club Membership and to provide prospective applicants with a summary of the types of membership available. These guidelines have been developed within the overall Constitution of the Club and responsibility for their interpretation and resolution of any issues arising therefrom rests with the Management Committee.
There are two basic categories of membership, Playing and Non-playing. Under the current Club Constitution and Rules, a maximum of 600 places are available for membership. The Parish Council approved this on condition that the Club guaranteed that Bearsted & Thurnham residents have priority, and that there would always be places available for such residents. Places not taken up by Bearsted & Thurnham residents can be offered to persons residing outside the parishes. If there are no places available, non-resident applicants will be placed on a waiting list. Social members are not included in the limit of 600.
The Membership Year runs from 1st March to 28/29th February.
Applying for Membership
All applications should be made through the Membership Secretary to the Management Committee.
The completed Application Form will be posted on the Club Noticeboard for a period of 14 days, during which any member has the right to object to the applicant joining the Club and should do so in writing to the Membership Secretary. The Application Form, together with any written objections, will be considered at the next Management Committee meeting. The Management Committee has the right to reject applications without explanation. If the application is approved, the Membership Secretary will notify the applicant and on receipt of the Annual Subscription fees, issue the new member with a Gate Key, a set of Club Rules and Membership information on how to obtain details about the club on our website.
Waiting List for Non-residents
If no vacancies are available for non-residents at the time of application, the applicant may apply to be placed on the Waiting List for which there will be an administration charge of £10.00. This will be deducted from the the first year's subscription fee when the applicant joins the club, but will not be refunded if the applicant subsequently declines to join the club or requests to be removed from the Waiting List.
When vacancies become available, applicants will be invited to apply for membership, in strict order according to the date they were placed on the Waiting List. If the Application Form is not returned within 4 weeks of receipt, the places will be offered to the next people on the Waiting List. If applicants are not able for some reason to join immediately, they may opt to defer joining the Club for up to 12 months and will remain ‘On Hold’ at the top of the Waiting List; however, if the second invitation is declined, they will be placed at the bottom of the Waiting List.
- FAMILY - A Playing Membership for Husband and/or Wife (or living together as common law husband and wife) and as many of their children under the age of 18* years or 25* years if in full time attendance at a recognised educational establishment, as they wish to include. On reaching 18* or 25* years of age (as applicable), a child must take up Senior Membership in his or her own right.
- SENIOR - An individual Playing Membership for persons the age of 18* years or over.
- JUNIOR - An individual Playing Membership for persons under 18* years of age or 25* years of age if in full time attendance at a recognised educational establishment.
- COUNTRY - A Playing Membership for existing Members with full Membership, who have had to move to a new home outside the Kent County Boundary. The number of places available shall be limited to 10 and will not be included in the total number of persons registered as Playing Members. (Country Members may attend and speak at General Meetings of the Club but do not have a vote and are not eligible to represent the Club in League Matches. The Annual Subscription Fees shall be one third of the normal fee for the relevant existing Membershi)
(* Age on 1st March of the Membership Year)
- SOCIAL - A Membership for persons who shall be entitled to use and enjoy the entire Club facilities and activities except the playing of tennis.
Honorary (Playing) Memberships
Honorary Life and Annual (Playing) Memberships are awarded at the discretion of the Management Committee and such Members have full voting rights.
- Life Memberships are awarded to members who have a record of outstanding service to the Club and will be recorded in the Minutes of the Meeting at which they were agreed.
- Annual Memberships are awarded on an annual basis and will be recorded in the Minutes of the Meeting at which they were agreed.
Families or individuals who either leave the area or due to injury or illness are unable to play tennis for at least 12 months, may apply in writing to the Membership Secretary to have their current membership temporarily suspended. In return for a small annual charge (currently £10 in the first year and £5 per year thereafter);
- Residents of Bearsted and Thurnham are entitled to rejoin the Club at any time upon payment of the appropriate Annual Subscription.
- Non-residents will have right of first admission when membership vacancies become available and upon payment of the appropriate Annual Subscription.
- Suspended Members may play tennis at the Club as a ‘Guest’ up to 3 times per Membership Year and upon payment of the current ‘Guest Fee’.
Suspended memberships will be reviewed annually by the Management Committee and will not be included in the full membership count.
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP.